HomeAboutFreebies

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Classroom Part 2

I went in to school yesterday and started to unpack the mess that is my new classroom. As you remember the other day I showed, in Part 1, that all I had in my room was a bunch of boxes. When I was done yesterday, I had less boxes and a MESS. Take a look.

I've never in my 8 years of teaching had a classroom with windows. This year I do, so I decided I wanted to have my easel next to the window. I although thought it would be great for easy weather referencing. However, can you see out there? They playground is right outside my window so if it gets too loud, I might have to rearrange.

I don't know if you remember my room from last year, but it was tiny, 225 sq ft tiny. Because I had to use that space creatively I had my table in an L shape. This was not my idea, I was complaining about lack of space and our BIST consultant suggested it. I loved it and I am doing it again. Here are pictures of the tables showing you the L shape.
 Here is the view from the easel.

If you remember I used to have a little white college desk from Walmart. I decided that I wanted some more roo, so I took two smaller rectangular tables and made another "L" shape for my desk too. One table will be my "Desk" and the other will be my Guided Reading/ small group table. That is an improvement from last year when I used top meet my groups on the floor.
You can still see a portion of my white desk back there. I am not sure if I want to build it and use it for storage or only use the shelves. That is to be determined.
This is another view of my desk.

As you can see the room is still a great big mess. I am going back in today to work on it some more. I will update you when I get more pictures. 

8 comments:

  1. What a huge task for you, but you look as if you're well on the way. Just a warning about putting the easel near the window. I had some training on teaching children who depend on lip-reading if they have hearing difficulties, and having the window behind you would make it really hard for a child to see your mouth well. Just in case you or a reader has a child with hearing difficulties this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, thanks for letting me know, I had no idea. Does it help if the blinds are closed?

    Ms. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I want to get in my classroom so badly!! But I have homework for my class, and I can't really justify putting it aside to go in my room.... :( I'm sure mine will look just like yours when I start!!

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great start! I have worked in my room some, but I keep forgetting to take my camera! Ugh.
    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the room...it looks so big! I hope you post pics when it is all done too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It feels big too, but I think that is only because I am used to teaching in a smaller place. I will definitely be posting pictures when it is done.

    Ms. M

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, I am so far behind in my blogs but I flew here when I saw you had pictures! I am now going to comment on each part because I know it will be amazing!!

    The playground is right outside our window too. It's hard at time, but it is just too lovely to have a window! I love how you room is shaping up already, you are very organized! I get in my room the first time and just whip myself into a frenzy and get very little done, haha!

    I'm off to your next entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen, I usually have the same problem and I do feel like it is kind of a mess in there but having everything in boxes has helped a lot. I get to unpack and put things right in their new location.

    I love my windows. :)

    Ms. M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.