HomeAboutFreebies

Monday, July 4, 2011

Melanie & Chester

In my post yesterday I had a few comments mentioning you had not heard of Chester. I thought I would share a bit about him and his fab author.
You've probably hear of Mealanie Watt because of this little guy.
Scaredy Squirrel
Isn't he cute? I just adore his books and use them often during my Writers Workshop. It helps us with planning, making lists, and even matching our illustrations to our text. 

One day while looking up Scaredy Squirrels other books I found Chester! As I picked up the first book in the series I realized this was book was a prefect addition to not only my Reading and LA block but also my Writers workshop too.
Here is a synopsis of the book, not written by me.

" "

The book is a riot, my students love it! This book helps to teach so many different parts of writing ideas, editing, authors purpose, illustrations, voice, I can go on and on. I also love that Chester's voice is shown in a big red marker which makes it easy to distinguish from Melanie's, which is perfect for my Kinder and 1st graders.

Chester also have 2 sequels.
Can you see Chester's red marker? :)
So when you get a minute at the book store, check him out.
Have you read about Chester?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to purchase "Chester" for my class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds Awesome!!! Do you think 4th graders would enjoy it??

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think 4th graders would like it. It has a bit of humor in it that I think kids of many ages would like.
    Now that I think about it, they will get the little inside jokes that my students don't really get. Worth a try. :)

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great books! I would love to hear more about your writing workshop, it is defiantly one of my weaknesses and I'm looking to make some improvements this year and including more literature in my teaching. I would love some tips and guidance if you were willing to share :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks!!! I'm about to place an order from Books a Million and I am going to get that too:))) Looks too fun!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the great aspects of reading "Chester" aloud is hearing the 'voice' that is telling the story! That's an aspect that students sometimes have difficulty with, but with Chester, it is obvious.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much for the information! These books are definitely going on my amazon wish list! I love finding out about new books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my daughter was in 1st she brought home Scaredy Squirrel to read and we LOVED it..it was one of our favorites all year...I'm looking into the Chester books for my class! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks, Nancy

    The Apple Basket Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.