HomeAboutFreebies

Monday, November 21, 2011

Shake a tail feather... it's turkey time.

Not that I eat turkey, I am vegan, but hey that doesn't stop me from enjoying the holiday with my students. I have to say that this year is the most comfortable I have been talking about Thanksgiving with my students. Thanks to you ladies I have a plethora of activities to choose from. Actually WAY too many.I didn't get to them all so I got to send some home for some holiday homework. I know I am terrible, don't look at me that way. They get Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun off here. I couldn't let them sit at home for 5 days and do nothing educational. It was mostly fun stuff anyway. :P

What we did get done was great fun too.
With my Kinder Students, I started the Thanksgiving bash on Friday by reading
10 Fat Turkeys.
 My all time favorite turkey story.
We then made some turkey patterns. Several of them ignored me and did not make a pattern. :/
(Click on pictures to enlarge.)
 
 

Next, we worked on some vocabulary. For this I used Itsy, Bitys Learners Thanksgiving day preschool pack.

Then worked on initial sounds.
(from the same packet)
There were so many great activities we did not have enough time. So I sent some home as homework.
We finished off the day with another favorite, T is for Turkey.

On Monday they heard the story of The First Thanksgiving.
Then we colored a worksheet I created using some of Jessica Weible Illlustrations stamps.
and colored in a Mayflower coloring page. We finished off Monday with another favorite, The Littlest Pilgrim.
And I started talking about being thankful, which I stretch out until Tuesday.

Tuesday we read Thanks for Thanksgiving.
Then wrote what we were thankful for on some feathers and attached to a sentence strip and made a headband.
We then watched the the infamous Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving.
We had a few minutes left so I took the time to read Over the River A Turkey's Tale.
WOW that was a lot, and it was only my Kinder Kids.

My First graders started on Friday by reading Who Will Carve the Turkey this Thanksgiving?
Then they colored in a turkey and crazy legs again from Jessica Weible Illlustrations stamps. Then we assembled them and added a sign that said "No Turkey! Eat..." They came out so darn cute! Here are some pictures.


 
 We then completed First Grade Blue Skies Thanksgiving alphabetical order word sort.
We finished the day reading One is a Feast for Mouse, and talking about what a feast was.

Monday was all about Pilgrims and their voyage. We read the story of The First Thanksgiving.
Then we created a cut & paste Mayflower and a Native American puzzle from Itsy, Bitys Learners Thanksgiving day preschool pack. I tell them these are tools to help them retell the story to their parents for homework. :P

Next we worked on a couple of First Grade Blue Skies Let Us Give Thanks for Adjectives! -Thinking Maps!
 We also read The Littlest Pilgrim.
And I started talking about being thankful, which again I stretch out until Tuesday.

Tuesday, was very similar to the kindergarten kids. We read Thanks for Thanksgiving.
Then wrote what we were thankful for on some feathers and attached to a sentence strip and made a headband.
We then watched the Charlie Brown's Mayflower Voyagers.
 Then we made an ear of corn!

I am officially worn out and ready for my break, but alas I have a teacher plan day tomorrow. No rest for the wicked I guess. I hope you can take some ideas away for next year.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like your kids have been very busy. I can't believe you have to work tomorrow. At least it's to plan. Don't feel bad, I sent home TONS of stuff for my kids to do; 9 days off. They took home a book bag filled with shared reading material, stuff to review, math games, etc. We start assessments when we return and I can't afford for them to forget anything. I even told parents to limit TV watching! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the book lists and ideas. Thanks for posting about these! I will be doing some of this with my first grade homeschooler!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.