HomeAboutFreebies

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Daily Sentence Editing

I have to confess, I have not done Daily sentence editing a great deal in the past. I could make a ton of excuses about not having time, but the truth is I often forget to make the sentence strips, just plain forget to do it or my lessons run longer than I predicted and so that is one that gets cut first.

However, this year I am making a point of doing these as part of my daily routine. I started it with my first graders at the start of the year and will start my Kinder kids in 2nd or 3rd quarter. So I began this and it was going well. I would write them on my white board and we would edit it. However, I wanted my students to see the proper handwriting on a sentence strip, so I decided I would write them out on a sentence strip. THEN I hated the waste. 1 sentence strip a day? That is a lot of wasted paper and those suckers are expensive. I struggled and because I did not like it I often missed doing them.

Yesterday I stopped making excuses and I decided I would laminate 5 sentence trips! My brain must have turned on or something because it is not the first time I laminate a sentence strip. I have one to write the date on my easel. Anyway, I label them, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs and Fri on the back.
 
I punched a whole in them and put a ring through it.

 I added a clip to them and clipped them on my Easel, but them realized, I would have a hard time flipping them daily if I had a big clip on them. So I got rid of the clip.

Then I attached a handy dandy Command hook to to my wall and hung them up.

FYI, Initially I wrote the sentences with dry erase makers. I knew this would be difficult, because they rub off so easy. By the time I wrote them all out and put them up, they had rubbed off. I decided I would write them with permanent marker. Did you know that if you get permanent marker on something laminated, or a dry erase board, you can simply write over it with a dry erase marker and it wipes away! This is what I will do. I will write my weekly sentences out on Friday, or Monday morning. then edit them daily, and erase them all on Friday. :)

Hope this is helpful to you.
Enjoy the day.

6 comments:

  1. Good problem-solving!! :) I think I need to use permanent marker on my laminated birthday poster... I used the wet-erase markers, thinking they wouldn't rub off, but that didn't work! Thanks for the tip. :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use vis-a-vis markers. They are wet erase instead of dry erase, so they don't erase when you touch them as easily! Just dampen a paper towel to erase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also use a magic eraser to get permanent marker off of laminated stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so smart! So you write the "unedited" version on the sentence strip first?? I'm a little slow tonight haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magic Eraser will take permanent marker off of laminated materials very easy and is less work and mess than using the dry erase method. I just discovered the Magic Eraser technique after using the dry erase technique for a few years now.
    www.seedsofnoledge.blogspot.com
    Jenea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tips ladies. I used to use Vis-a-Vis pens, but I always end up smearing it and getting it all over my hand and arm.

    Hadar, yes I write the unedited sentence first. For example this week we are working on making sure all names have capital letters. So you will see that the name of the store is in lower case letters. They will identify what is wrong and come up to the board to correct it. Last week it was all about capitalizing the start of your sentences. So this week I will throw that in on 1 day to see if they catch it.

    Ms. M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.