HomeAboutFreebies

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

More with the Gingerbread Man

Ok my kids can not get enough of this man. What man? The Gingerbread Man!
Quite frankly I am a bit tired of him. However, as I was introducing my students to dialogue, more specifically, adding dialogue to their writing. We had gotten to the lesson where I teach my students to use other words for said. AKA: Put said to bed, or Said is Dead.

I have to preface this by saying that I was also being observed this day. My kids didn't do so well. Let's just say that my students did a WONDERFUL job of identifying the sound words and using them in a sentence. Ie: Ms. M was screaming. What I wanted them to do was Ms. M was screaming "stop"! Or She was outside whispering. When I wanted, I whispered "sit down."

After talking extensively about this. I got an epiphany. We just happened to be reading The Gingerbread Pirates that week. It is chalked full "other words for said". I took that famous Gingerbread man quote and tweaked it. Here is what changed it to, "Run, run as fast as I can you can't catch me!" ________, the Gingerbread man. So I whipped up this fancy sheet.
GB Man Dialogue
Then I had my students decorate and added some foam Gingerbread men I found in the Target Dollar Spot. Here is what it looks like finished.
A couple closeups.
My students really seemed to understand after this lesson. In my opinion it was a hit.

I couldn't leave my Kinder kids out of the Gingerbread fun. I only had them trace the original quote and decorate a GB man. Here is that freebie.

Hope you find it useful and will file it away for next year. :) I got one more activity to post about. I hope that I can get that up later this week for you all. Hope you are enjoying your break.

3 comments:

  1. Those are darling and a great way to get rid of said! Saving that nugget for next year!
    2B Honey Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the gingerbread man sightword coloring page? It's posted on Pinterest, but I can't find it anywhere. Please let me know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try this page...
      http://msk1ell.blogspot.com/2011/12/gingerbread-kind-of-week.html

      M

      Delete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.