HomeAboutFreebies

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Holiday Decor

 If you are a regular reader you know that I occasionally drift into the land of the holiday decor. This time I have made some holiday decorations that I use in my classrooms, but can be easily  done for your home!
Here is what I got. Want to make one for yourself?

Here is how I made it...
I grabbed some Twinery bakers twine. Have you ever used it? It is wonderful, I love it. I also used some small, mini tree, ornaments I got at Hobby Lobby. The ornaments were 4 colors so I decided to use the matching twine colors, but not have them match. No reason why, you could make them match if you wanted to.
Here are the colors I used... Buttercream, Stone, Maraschino, and Peapod. I measured the door way, and cut some twine a bit longer than the door way so it would hang a bit. I then tied the 4 strings of twine in a 1 loop knot together at the end. The next part was the most difficult. I wanted to make some kind of pattern, but not too predictive. so i laid out all the ornaments down on the twine, to give me an idea of what I would get. I did have to make changes so I am glad I did a trial first.
Once I was ready to start I took the first ornament and strung it on the twine and tied a knot. At first I thought it would be easier to do one color at a time. However, it did not work well. I was not able to space the ornaments the way I wanted. So I went back to the drawing board. Instead of doing one color at a time I just followed the pattern. I chose the next color in the pattern and strung that ornament, then tied a knot. I continued to do the same until I had attached all the ornaments. Once done I tied another loop knot at the other end of the garland, to close it off.
I wasn't done there. You can see in the  twine is all intertwined. All I did was grab each end and twist it around. Kind of like swinging a miniature jump rope. I know that is not very clear but I don't know how else to describe it. :/
 Finally I attached it to the doorway with a thumb tack but you could also hang it on a hook.
 Here is a shot of the doorway.
Then I added a large ornament I had laying around and viola! It's not perfect, but I don't mind.
I really like the way it turned out. Not as much as my spider web but it is nice. :)

Come back tomorrow for another kind of, simpler, door decoration.

2 comments:

  1. So cute!! P.S. I totally had a dream that I met you last night!! hahaha! weirdest dream!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.