Monday, September 9, 2013

Monday Made It: Chevron Notebook Covers

Hi everyone, I'm back for another Monday Made It. This week I am sharing a project that is near and dear to my heart. 
Let me introduce you to my Kinder Kids journals. This is something new I am trying this year. I decided wanted my students to have something to do as they sat on the carpet during our whole group meeting time and so I will try having them work in here as I work on the easel.
They didn't always look so adorable. As a matter a fact I didn't like them at all when we started. I had every intention of getting already cute notebooks and cutting them in half, but life got in the way and I did not want to put that much effort into it. So here is where I began.
I know they aren't that bad but I really had my heart set on some of those chevron shorty notebooks, I just refused to pay THAT much for them. They were 3x the price of a full one. I knew I could do better.

 Step 1 is to print your cover page. I cut the left sides of off mine so that the page would be centered. However I wanted the top, bottom and right side left on so that I could fold over.
Step 2 is to mix your glue, regular white glue with water. I did not measure, I just, very slowly added water until it was the consistency I wanted, like honey. If it is too thin, add more glue, too thick add more water.
 I put it in a wide lip cup and used a paintbrush to mix and apply.
Step 3, I cleared my surface and applied a coat of the water glue to the cover of the composition notebook.
Once a layer was on the cover I placed the sheet on top just where I wanted it and moved on to the next notebook. I had 25 of these to do.
I left the top, bottom and sides out on purpose. I wanted the font cover to dry before I applied more wet glue to the back. I was afraid of having a soggy mess. So this is what my floor looked like.
I turned them upside down to ensure that the cover would dry flat and not curve due to the moisture. I then left them to dry over night.

Day 2.
For this side I placed a pice of large construction paper under my notebook to ensure that could glue all the way to the edge without fear of making a mess of my table. First, I opened my front cover.
 Next, I applied a layer of glue on the just the outer flaps of the cover and folded the corners in.
 Then I folded the top and bottom flaps in.
 Last, I folded the right side of the flap in.
 This time I stacked them up to add weight as they dried. Again dry over night.

So what do you think? I'm kind of in love with how they look.

I liked it so much I repeated the process with my First graders spiral notebooks. Though I did not fold the flaps over. I cut all 4 sides and clipped the edges with my corner cutter.
Final product.
Don't forget to check out all the other fabulous projects on Tara's Monday Made It. Just click the button below.


  1. I love the look of your notebooks! I just used labels and taped them down but I love that the whole notebook is covered! Too cute!
    Rambling About Reading

  2. Cute, cute, cute!!! Such a great idea :)
    Fun in Room 4B

  3. They look so cute! I have a bunch of notebooks that I got really cheap but they say something about cuties and cupcakes - totally not okay for my fifth graders! I am going to try your trick so that I can finally use them! Thank you!!

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

  4. Hi! I found your blog from the Classroom Crafts Linky! I am so glad I did and I am happy to be your newest follower!

    I cannot believe how ADORABLE your notebooks are! When I first saw the picture, I thought you had cut and glued felt chevron pieces to each notebook. So glad to hear, it is just paper. So.Much.Easier. I can't wait to make these! My notebooks are in a cabinet waiting to be used...Now, they just need a cute cover! Thanks for sharing!!!

    Beth :)
    A Kindergarten Life For Me


Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.