HomeAboutFreebies

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

FCRR

I'm sure many of you already know this but I thought I would put it out there for those of you that may be new to it.
 
What is FCRR? Well it is the Florida Center for Reading Research.
 
Before I moved out to the Midwest I taught in Florida. Right before I left my district had compiled the huge binders with center/ workstation activities for the "Big 5". Phonemic Awareness, Phonics, Vocabulary, Fluency and Comprehension. Then someone had a stroke of genius and these binders were scanned and uploaded on to their website. The best part is that it is all FREE!!!

Now these don't compare to the wonderful products that you all put out there and sell, but they do come in handy in a pinch. Let's say that it is Sunday night and while you have planned your lessons you don't yet have a Phonemic Awareness activity to practice with your students. Well just jump on to www.fcrr.org and look one up! It really only takes minutes.

When you  first go to FCRR you will see this page.
On the right hand side you will see "Instructional Materials for Teachers", this is what you want. Click on the grade level you teach.

You will then see this page.
Scroll down until you see the Phonological Awareness, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary and Comprehension sections.
Each section is broken down into parts. My kinder kids have been working on Syllables so I will click on Part 2 of Phonemic Awareness. I'll now get a PDF download of several activities that deal with what is in that section. Look for the activity you like and Voila an instant activity that can turn into a center/ workstation.
You get an instruction page.
Plus the worksheets you will need for the activity too.

There used to be an easier way to search for the activities, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway I hope you get some use out of it.


4 comments:

  1. I love some of these lessons for my small groups and tutoring groups. Thanks for reminding me to use them. I have several in baggies in the drawer! Grrr. Too much stuff, not a big enough memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post!

    www.littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You welcome. :)

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com
    www.ateachersplan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great site! I shared it with a friend too. I saved all the second grade stuff for writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.