HomeAboutFreebies

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday Night Snippets: Valentine Edition

Wow, what a week. Have to admit my classes were wonky all week because of our ELL testing, but I was able to meet with my students and managed to get some work done. 
Love was definitely in the air in my class this week.
 Even pink pencils!

Here is some of what we did...

I tell my kids that February is a really special month. We have to pack A LOT of learning into a very short month. We talked about how we celebrate Valentine's Day, Presidents day and it is also Black History month. We have be talking about several African-Americans of note each week. I've been using this poster set with both my Kinder and First grade students. I will talk more about it in a later post.
Black History Month Poster Set 1
For our Valentine literature we read...
AND
We had some others but we didn't get to them. Bummer. Maybe next year.

By now you know, or I hope you know I teach multiple grade levels of kids. Some of my ELL students I see 2 consecutive years. In order for them NOT to see the same thematic curriculum on holidays I have been doing different activities with each grade level.  I have done this for a couple years now and I really like that I don't have to hear "I ALREADY DID THAT!" Plus it give me an opportunity to use more of the wonderful resources I find online.

My Kinder Kids created ValenSwines again, with the help of Cara Carols, from A First Grade Parade, freebie. 
We don't have that book, but we are just about to study poetry so I made up a cute little poem for them to use in their heart. It provided a great opportunity to introduce rhyming poems and practice out Phonemic Awareness by listening and identifying those rhyming words.
Here is how they turned out.
Here they are out in the hallway.

I got a bit more complicated with my First graders.
I decided we would tackle Teri's, from a Cupcake For The Teacher, I "chews" you craft, 
with a minor edit. 
I didn't want to cut out a bunch of circles so we used foam candy heart stickers. :)
And then out on display.
This poor little friend just didn't get it.

Together

My level 1 math kids have been working out of Greg's, from Kindergarten Smorgasbord, I Heart Valentine's Day pack.
Chalked full of goodies.

Next week is a short one for my students, but we will still find lots of time to learn about Presidents Day!

Hope you have a wonderful Sat night and lazy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.