HomeAboutFreebies

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Buddy Room Bags

Hi everyone,

Several months ago, maybe longer, I wrote about BIST and today I am back to share a stolen, borrowed idea I am using in my room next year that will help with a  component of BIST, the Buddy Room. The best part is that you don't have to know or use BIST to use this with your kids. All you would need is a partner teacher who is willing to help you out.

So a brilliant teacher I work with came up with this idea and it is such a great idea that when I saw these bags...
...at target I thought they were a perfect fit. I got them at Target, and was able to get the matching pencil pouches too.

So the history behind the Buddy Room is that when a student is being particularly disruptive in your room, you have given them a redirect, have gone to the Safe Seat in your room and is still struggling to get it together you then send the student to the Buddy room.

A Buddy room is just a classroom outside of their own but where they are still in a learning environment. They are to sit in the Safe Seat in that room until they show they are ready to return to their own classroom.

They don't go with nothing though. That is where the Buddy Room Bag comes in. So in each bag I have...
1. a spiral notebook.
2. box of crayons
3. pencils (2)
4. eraser
4. scissors
5. some leveled readers
Basically anything that the student will need to calm down and/ or complete their assignment. I would put all the small items in the matching pencil pouches so they don't slip out of the bag.

So I thought that these cuties were perfect for the job.
For when a student is upset I got "Mr. Happy."
 For those talkers I got "Little Miss. Chatterbox."
 For when someone is hurt I got "Mr. Bump."
 And for those naughty moments I got "Little Miss. Naughty."

Because I teach multiple grades and levels I was thinking of having books with different levels in them but I think I will just put a variety of levels in each bag. So it won't matter which bag a student picks up.


On a completely different note I finally ordered my classroom goodies for this coming year and have received 1 out of 2 packages. As soon and the second arrives today, (YAY!) I will link up with Kristen's Summer Shopping List Party. So keep an eye out for another post from me... soon.


Hope your having as fabulous and quiet a summer as I am.

12 comments:

  1. I love your Buddy Room Bags idea! When it is absolutely necessary for me to send a student to my neighbor, it would definitely help if he/she had something productive to do. Thanks for sharing!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have been wanting to do something like this so that the kids are always prepared to go. This year, each of my students had a basket of books. I usually just put the stuff they needed in their basket and they took that. I like this better though!

    Jennifer
    Teaching with Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! You just inspired me to get these bags! I love those characters too!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea...I love that the pouches match the bag. I'm going to have to find these are my Target!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea!! I am going to share this with a teacher friend of mine and see if she is interested in doing this with me. I love the bags you picked up!! They are so cute.
    Connie:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've missed you girl!! I was so happy when I saw this pop up in my blogroll!! What a cool and creative idea (no surprise though). I'm looking forward to catching up with you soon :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. We have a similar arrangement. Sometimes I'm the one who needs a break from the student : ) and this is a great way to get them to take a break without leaving the room empty handed!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, me needing a break from a particular student is so part of the equation too. Sometimes the teacher needs space as well. :)

      Ms. M

      Delete
  8. We use the BIST program at my school. I really like the idea of a bag to take to the Buddy Room! These bags are very cute! Maybe too cute to be used for Buddy Room bags?? I don't know!?!? I can see kids wanting to go to the Buddy Room so they get a chance to use these cute bags! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't see a problem with it. Once the kids get used to the bags I think it will be ok. I am pretty sure the novelty will wear off quickly. But you could always use the same idea with a more generic bag.

      M

      Delete
  9. Treat people like you would like to be treated especially people who trusted and took your word for things led aquarium bear costume
    This is a good motto that every one should share,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.