HomeAboutFreebies

Saturday, January 22, 2011

An easy, quick & fun pointer

There have been several posting about pointers. They are so wonderful it made me want to share what I use in my class.

I found these 'wiggly-eye on a stick pointer" on What the Teacher Wants that I am in the process of copying & some great "highlighter stick pointer" that Hadar posted on her blog OUTfitted & INspired. I am still looking for some kind of colored transparent material to make mine out of.

I used to buy dowels & Michael's shapes. The were super cute and my students loved them. However, I moved and now live in a state where the nearest Michael's is too far for me. So I had to come up with something else. It took me a little while but I eventually solved my problem.

Creative Teaching Press has these wonderful mini designer cutouts. They come in all kinds of designs. All I did was just glue the mini designer cut out to a Popsicle stick and done!


Sorry about that last awful picture. 

I used school glue because I did not laminate the shapes. If you would like for them to last longer, you can laminate and used hot glue.

I make a new set for every season. The kiddo's just adore this. I use them for one-to-one correspondence in Guided Reading, the students use them for reading charts, poems, & big books. They are small and if they bend and break they are easily replaced because you get 150 in each pack, with 6 different designs!

I had a Fall set, that are kind of battered now (see below) so I am switching them out. 
The best part of these pointers is that they are replaced so easily. Each mini designer cut out pack comes with 150 pieces. So when the corn goes missing or ripped off, like it did above I just glue a new one on.
Here are the new ones I just made.
I think I will keep these small ones for Guided Reading & use the large ones below at the students centers/ workstations.

I think I will use these fun shapes in the Spring.

Enjoy, & stay warm.

8 comments:

  1. Adorable idea! And how neat. I can so see having the kids pick out their own little picture to glue to the end so everyone's is different and they take ownership in having and excitement in using them. I'm definitely going to have to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out so cute!!! And thanks for the shout-out, warmed my little heart! :)

    Hadar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies I enjoy sharing. :)

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike. I too use the wide craft sticks but instead of gluing the seasonal design on, I buy the decorative foam stickers to attach onto the stick. Check out my blog www.krazy4kinders.blogspot.com

    Enjoy your blog. Thanks for sharing great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea Cristy. I will have to try that and I will make sure I check out your blog too.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found more dividers! I want to send them to you! Email me your address hadarmaor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing! Thank you for having my blog button below. I am so glad, you comment and I found your blog.

    Erica Bohrer's First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erica your welcome. I love your blog & am glad I found your too.

    Ms. M
    www.msk1ell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. Please come back again.